I recently went through and upgraded the VMware Tools on all of my virtual machines. The only one I couldn’t get to work was my vCenter Mobile Access machine. After some searching, I finally found this article on the VMware Communities site. It took awhile to find, so I wanted to post the details here (so at least I can find them in the future). Here is the source article with two takes on how to complete this task: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/216029?tstart=15
And here is a copy of the instructions for future reference:
- Shutdown the VCMA guest and add a “client” CD ROM to the VCMA appliance and power-on
- Snapshot the vCMA machine so you can undo if there are any problems!
- Create a directory for mount point
- Select “VM->Guest->Install/Upgrade VMware Tools” from the console menu
- Copy the VMwareTools to the /tmp directory
- On the vCMA server console install the The World-Wide Web library for Perl.
- Extract the contents of the VMwareTools-4.0.0-164009.tar.gz file in the /tmp directory.
- Uninstall the previous version of VMware Tools using the uninstaller from the latest version. The uninstall script wasn’t left from the initial install.
- Install the latest version accepting the defaults.
- Reboot the vCMA server.
- If everything works correctly remove the snapshot.
cp /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-4*.gz /tmp
yum install perl-libwww-perl
tar zxf /tmp/VMwareTools-4.0.0-164009.tar.gz
shutdown -r now